Are you able to demonstrate compliance with the new IB MACT Boiler Tune-up requirements?
What is a boiler tune-up?
• A boiler tune-up refers to many aspects of improving boiler operations. Form an emissions perspective, the term boiler tune-up specifically refers to the activity to meet the requirements in the Boiler Area and Major Source Rules (40 CFR Part 63 Subpart JJJJJJ and Subpart DDDDD).
• The tune-up activity is the act of re-establishing the air-fuel mixture for the operation range of the boiler. Oxygen and unburned fuel (carbon monoxide is generally the indicative measurement) are balanced to provide safe and efficient combustion. Carbon monoxide (CO) concentrations are also measured to ensure a proper combustion process.
• A primary goal of a boiler tune-up is to improve boiler efficiency with respect to combustion operations.
• The primary tool required to complete a boiler combustion tune-up is a flue gas analyzer. The required measurements for an appropriate flue gas analysis are flue gas oxygen content, combustibles content, and any components that are managed as part of environmental compliance (NOx for example). These measurements are typically obtained with a portable combustion analyzer.
When must a tune-up be conducted?
• An initial tune-up is required for all facilities under the rule. Boiler heat input capacity, boiler classification, and/or the use of an oxygen trim system will determine the tune-up periodicity after the initial tune-up
• Compliance Date:
– Area Source Units = March 21, 2014
– Major Source Units = January 16, 2016
Who is conducting your IB MACT boiler tune-up?
• All boiler adjustments and modifications should be completed by qualified, experienced technicians. Boiler operations in general and tune-up activities in particular are hazardous and require the skill and knowledge of experienced technicians. The tune-up technician should be skilled in the evaluation and adjustment of the specific boiler and burner equipment in use.
• Valmet, Inc. Energy & Environmental Service, Field Service Engineers are skilled and experienced in the evaluation and adjustment of boiler and burner equipment.
Valmet is a recognized boiler OEM with extensive experiene in boiler operations. Valmet will provide the portable gas analyzer and a qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable service engineer to enable you to demonstrate compliance with the IB MACT rule.