For boilers with decanting furnace floors, smelt extraction is often a routine part of outage maintenance. But truly optimizing the process, both in terms of time required and percentage of smelt extracted, can be a challenging proposition. Our turnkey Smelt-X service exists to alleviate those challenges.
Most smelt removal services utilize augers. But with numerous moving parts and a limit of 10ft. in operating depth—a depth that can be further hindered by large spout hoods—augers are often limited in just how much smelt they can remove.
Smelt-X makes use of air ejectors. We insert a 10 ft. – 20 ft. long stainless steel “straw” with a compressed air line running inside of it down into the lowest part of the boiler. From there, we utilize mill air to create a Venturi effect that siphons smelt out of the tank. With no moving parts to fail and a depth limit that has not yet been reached by any boiler we’ve worked on, Smelt-X offers more thorough smelt removal in less time.
As part of our Smelt-X package, we arrive on site the day before your boiler shuts down to prep our equipment and help you prepare. We set up our equipment and make sure it works, and sit down with boiler operators and mill management to discuss the outage schedule. If you need assistance getting the boiler in the proper state to burn down the smelt bed to the point where we can perform extraction, we’re more than happy to help.
Why choose Smelt-X for your smelt removal?
- Extract a large pool of molten smelt to significantly reduce boiler cool down time and enable maintenance to begin sooner
- Remove smelt pool in order to inspect boiler floor tubes
- Reduce lost chemicals by recovering smelt pool in dissolving tank
- Eliminate risk of damaging floor tubes by using air operated ejectors which have no moving parts – this is more reliable
- Ensure spouts troughs are not overheated by not dispensing smelt directly into spouts, especially during water wash cycles.
- Increase safety by removing the smelt pool before water washing the boiler
- Ensure thorough smelt extraction without having to damage/modify hoods
As part of the Smelt-X service, Metso service engineers will arrive on-site the day before extraction to help implement a proper bed burn down procedure to maximize results by insuring the entire smelt bed is molten. Smelt-X provides the most efficient and thorough means of smelt extraction, allowing our team to help your team minimize boiler outage time.